Nov 28, 2006

Toby Burke - Winsome Lonesome (2004)

It's a cold Sunday afternoon in the middle of winter. A bitter wind is blowing across the city and ominous dark clouds have gathered above. A heavy rain begins to to fall. Now is no time to be out walking the streets... Its a good thing, then, that myself and three of my closest friends have found our way into the warmth and comfort of this inner-city pub. There is a woodfire burning, and, luckily, the beer in our glasses is as cold as the weather outside. Sure, it may be ugly out there, but we're in here - at least until we have to stumble home at closing time. The barman puts an album on behind the bar. I catch his eye, and he nods at me - almost as if he knows something that I don't. I return to conversation with my friends, which continues, as before, with hazy recollections of the night before. At first I don't notice it, as it quietly provides the soundtrack to our boozy afternoon, however, it soon becomes impossible for me to ignore the sweet music that is falling from the speakers around the pub. Quietly strummed acoustic guitars; simple arrangements; a soft, smoky vocal; a harmonica here; a piano there. I sit back and let the music wash over me in warm waves. Suddenly, I am violently shaken - apparently it is my round. As I approach the bar, I listen to the instrumental track playing and am struck by its quiet beauty. Standing at the bar I ask for four beers, and "Who is this on stereo?" The bartender gives me the same knowing nod that he had given me earlier. "Toby Burke. He's from Melbourne. The album's called Winsome Lonesome." I tell him I like the title. "Great music..." he says. A smile crosses my face as I nod my head in agreement.

Check out: www.tobyburke.com