Nov 28, 2006

Hilltop Hoods - The Calling (2003)

Observing the Australian music scene from afar for the past few years, I have realized that Australia truly does produce world-class music that is, more often than not, criminally overlooked - both at home and abroad. Which brings me to The Hilltop Hoods. I know what you're thinking, and believe me, I had the same mis-givings: hip-hop with an Australian accent... it just doesn't sound right. Oh, but it does, my friends, it does. It has taken me quite some time to come around to the Aussie hip-hop scene, but with this album, The Hilltop Hoods have finally legitimized that very scene. Released at the end of 2003, purchased by me at the start of 2005 (and subsequently played to death), this album is - for lack of a better adjective - the shit! The beats hit hard and the rhymes - always on point - are full of distinctly Australian wordplay, without pandering to any lame stereotypes. With lyrics like "Oi, Suffer you can't sing/ Yeah I can barely hum a tune/ But I'll make this place bounce like bed springs on a honeymoon", the Hilltop Hoods are sure to get any party jumping. For my mind, the stand out tracks are Testimonial Year (raise them beers), Dumb Enough, and The Nosebleed Section. I know there will be plenty of doubters out there, but give the Hoods a chance, and soon enough, you will be following their Calling.

Checkout: www.myspace.com/hilltophoods