Nov 28, 2006

The Pernice Brothers - Overcome By Happiness (1998)

My plan, originally, was to tell you all about the fantastic new album from The Pernice Brothers - Discover A Lovelier You (2005). However, each time I try, I find myself smiling giddily, as I recall the first time I heard the Pernice Brothers' first album - Overcome By Happiness; the first time I saw Joe Pernice play live (February 20th, 1999); which was, coincidentally, the first and only time I asked him for his discarded water bottle at the end of the show (yes... quite strange). To say that Overcome By Happiness changed my life may be a little over the top, but that's not to say it isn't true. I'm not afraid to say that it is some of the prettiest music my 19-year-old ears had ever heard - and still is to this day. Probably my favourite track from the album, All I Know is a beautiful, melancholic number, that seems to hold a mirror up to the inner-workings of the (broken) human heart, and always manages to bring with it a strange sense of comfort. It was Overcome By Happiness that taught me that it is okay to be sad sometimes - because there is a true beauty that comes from within sadness. It is a great album to keep you company when you need a little 'you' time away from the world. In my humble opinion, it is simply an amazing album - not suited to all occasions, but perfect for the occasions to which it is.

http://www.pernicebrothers.com/