Nov 28, 2006

The Dears - No Cities Left (2004)

Some reviewers have likened the Dears (from Canada) to the Smiths. Never having listened to much of the Smiths, I'm not really in a position to comment. When I listen to the Dears, I hear hints of Pulp and Mercury Rev - though I also hear a band with a sound all their own. Lead singer, Murray Lightman, has an amazing voice. It conveys equal parts power and despair. The songs are all great, for me, however, track no. 3 - Lost In The Plot - is a classic. I told my friend, Tim, earlier this year that it would probably be the best song I hear in 2005 - I'm sticking to my story, although the Arcade Fire are trying their best to prove me wrong. I saw the Dears play a few weeks ago in LA, and after having heard the intricacies of some of the songs on their album, I was worried that they may not be able to pull off their sound in the live setting. Not to worry - they were awesome.

www.myspace.com/thedears