Nov 30, 2006

Say Hi To Your Mom - Impeccable Blahs (2006)

I bought this album a couple of months ago, and have not been able to stop listening to it since. Actually, I bought the album without having heard any of the band's music, however, I had seen the name around town and thought that with a moniker like Say Hi To Your Mom, it couldn't be bad. I love buying music that way from time to time, especially when the music turns out to be this damn good. Say Hi To Your Mom is a three piece from Brooklyn, although to my understanding, Eric Elbogen (guitar, vocals, synth, etc.) is the brainchild behind their very cool sound, and is, at present, the only member of the band. In the liner notes, the album is described as thus: "A record about vampires. Not creepy, goth vampires but rather people just like you and me who happen to get their nourishment from drinking blood." True to their word, this album is about vampires, however, the lyrics and the music (think along the lines of New Order guitars and synth sounds) are so catchy and playful, that these are the type of vampires that you would feel comfortable snuggling up with on a cold winters night. Vampires are people too. Impeccable Blahs is one of those albums that is immediately likeable and should appeal to people of varying musical tastes. In addition, it is the type of album that suits various moods and situations, which is probably why I have been able to listen to it so much. Standout tracks on the album include These Fangs, Snowcones And Puppies, and the quietly awesome She Just Happens To Date The Prince Of Darkness. This album comes with my highest recommendation, and will definitely be high on my Best Of 2006 list.

Check Out: http://www.myspace.com/sayhitoyourmom