Nov 30, 2006

The Drones @ Spaceland - Los Angeles - February 17, 2006

With the fine album - Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of Your Enemies Will Float By (see below) - under their belt, and reports of an awesome live show, it was with rather high expectations that I made my way to Spaceland on an unseasonably cold Friday night. While playing to sold-out crowds in Australia, The Drones are yet to make their mark on the U.S.. However, if what I witnessed on Friday night was any indication of their greatness, 2006 should be their year. The Drones took to the stage looking like those misfit kids at school with whom you secretly wanted to be friends, but who were always far too intimidating to approach. I'm not sure how to describe their music, other than calling it rock'n'roll. Think a drunken fight on a leaky boat between Nick Cave and Sonic Youth (with the Bad Seeds drunkenly cheering along), and you're somewhere to understanding The Drones (or maybe further away than ever before). The Drones don't play, so much as attack each song. Gareth Liddiard - lead singer/guitarist - leading the band with a menacing swagger. He and fellow guitatist, Rui Pereira, extrapolating inhuman howls and screeches from their respective instruments, all the while backed by the pounding rythm section of Fiona Kitschin (bass) and Mike Noga (drums). Tonight the band tear through a fifty-minute set, with an awesome rendition of Shark Fin Blues, and a closing track (whose name I don't know) that lasted close to ten minutes and left me virtually speechless by its was so damn goodness (I was at the show by myself, so its hard to say whether or not I would have been speechless had I actually had someone to talk to).

The Drones are an awesome band, who I have no doubt, will continue to blow audiences away. Luckily, you don't have to take my word for it, if you're living in Melbourne or London, the band are playing both of your fair cities in the next few weeks. Check out the Shows section at www.thedrones.com.au to find out where they'll be... and get there. While you're there, you can check out the video to Shark Fin Blues in the Video section.