Nov 30, 2006

Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy (2005)

I bought Okkervil River's Black Sheep Boy some months ago, and have been somewhat reluctant to write about it ever since. Originally I thought I didn't want to write about it, because it seemed I had been let in on a secret that was too good to share. However, it soon became apparent that I didn't want to write about it because I was afraid. Afraid of what, you ask? Afraid of writing about something of which I am so in awe of. I know that the whole point of this exercise is to let you know about music that I have been enjoying, but this is different. I have listened to Black Sheep Boy innumerable times since I picked it up almost four months ago - I am currently listening to it for the second time today - and it continues to blow me away with every listen. It is a collection of 11 songs based around the fictional Black Sheep Boy, a character created by the band's extremely talented songwriter, Will Sheff (by way of 60's folk singer, Tim Hardin), whose lyrical imagery is often off-putting in its depth and beauty. With instrumentation including acoustic and electric guitar, pedal steel, wurlitzer, pump organ, mandolin, bass, drums, along with a number of other instruments, Okkervil River have created an album that not only mines the rich vein of music loosely termed as Americana, but also an album that stands alone as an underground classic in its own right. With my limited writing ability, I am unable to do this this album the justice it deserves, so I implore you to go out and listen to it for yourself. I dare say you will not be disappointed.

Check Out: www.myspace.com/okkervilriver