Nov 30, 2006

Mates Of State - Bring It Back (2006)

Mates Of State are a husband and wife duo from San Francisco that have had me smiling for weeks. I was never much one for maths (math for those of you who are American), however, the following equation has recently had me repeatedly pressing repeat: drums + keyboards + two part male/female harmonies = fuzzy, warm goodness. This album contains some of the catchiest, most poptastic (definitely a word) tunes I have heard for a long time. Fraud In The '80s and Beautiful Dreamer are two of my favourite tracks, though that being said, I don't think there is a a weak track in this collection. Basically, this is the type of music that makes you smile, and bob your head from side-to-side without any pretension - even as you sit, trying to describe to your friends what it all sounds like. I take music quite seriously, perhaps more seriously than necessary, however, taking music seriously these days doesn't mean it has to be all dark and depressing. In these troubled times, it is important to be serious about being lighthearted and having fun every once in a while. It isn't all bad!

Check Out: www.matesofstate.com