Nov 30, 2006

The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee (2002)

I bought this album five days ago. It was one of those occasions that I bought three albums at the same time. You know how it is, you buy a few albums, and you try your best to give all of them your utmost attention, however, somehow, it just doesn't work out. You always go back to one or two of the albums repeatedly. I didn't know much about The Mountain Goats before I bought this album. I still don't. I knew that I liked one of the songs, as I had heard it on KEXP - in my opinion, the best radio station in America (check out www.kexp.org, if you don't live in Seattle; 90.3 on your FM dial for those of you that are lucky enough to do so). The Mountain Goats is pretty much one guy: John Darnielle; who is extremely prolific. As such, they are the type of band that has so many albums, it is hard to know where to begin. I began with Tallahasee, and I certainly won't be ending with Tallahassee. The Mountain Goats' music is of the mostly acoustic, singer-songwriter style, however, the lyrical content sets it apart from most of that which constitutes the singer-songwrite realm these days. There is an element of the lyrics that makes it all seem very 'real'. Darnielle doesn't seem to be mincing words... he calls it as he sees it, though in a lot of instances, I am still to determine what he is referring to. Track number 7, No Children, is my favourite thus far. Maybe I have it all wrong. I don't know. I do know, however, that I took a chance on The Mountain Goats, and I have been rewarded soundly.

Check Out: www.mountain-goats.com