Jun 14, 2008

Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing (ATP Recordings, 2008)

Firstly, members of my family have been known to read this blog, so I would like to apologize in advance for the use of profanity in this piece. However, there is really no way around it when you're writing about a band called Fuck Buttons.
In my opinion, if you decide to call your band Fuck Buttons - an obviously provacative moniker - your music should be loud, weird and obnoxious. If the newly reformed New Kids On The Block changed their name to The Shit Eaters and were still spewing out tracks like Hanging Tough and The Right Stuff, it just wouldn't be right (Editors Note: NKOTB's music does eat shit, so it may be right). Luckily, Fuck Buttons' music is loud, weird and obnoxious (in the best possible way).
My trusted friend, Mr. Martin, turned me on to Fuck Buttons a few weeks ago, and I have been listening to them solidly ever since. As he told me, they are all "weirdo atmospherics and screamo vocals", the music is dense, often dark, and utterly compelling.
Building tracks such as Sweet Love For Planet Earth, and the amazing Race You To My Bedroom/Spirit Rise, with a mulititude of electronic textures, tribal-like drumming, and vocals that sound like they have been recorded in a cement mixer, Fuck Buttons create walls of sound that must be listened to at high volume (tinnitus be damned!).
If Sigur Ros are the house band in heaven, then Fuck Buttons are keeping the masses dancing down in hell.

Key Tracks: Sweet Love For Planet Earth, Okay Let's Talk About Music, Race You To My Bedroom/Spirit Rise.

Check Out: www.myspace.com/fuckbuttons